SMP Spent $100M+ In Georgia This Cycle — Investing Early In Paid Media And Its Largest Voter Mobilization Program Ever To Turn Georgia Blue
Washington, D.C. – Today, J.B. Poersch, President of Senate Majority PAC, the largest Democratic outside spender in U.S. Senate races, released the following statement congratulating Jon Ossoff and Rev. Raphael Warnock on their historic victories in Georgia’s U.S. Senate runoff elections, handing Democrats the majority in the U.S. Senate:
“Jon Ossoff and Rev. Raphael Warnock accomplished a historic feat by flipping Georgia’s two U.S. Senate seats and giving President-elect Joe Biden the Democratic Senate majority he needs to get America back on track. The people of Georgia, propelled by voters of color and young Americans, sent a message loud and clear by electing Georgia’s first Black U.S. Senator and the youngest U.S. Senator that they are ready for new leadership and a U.S. Senate that will deliver for the American people.
“We are incredibly proud of our early investments and strategic spending in Georgia, which included more than $100 million in paid media and unprecedented voter mobilization efforts. We knew from day one that Georgia was an emerging battleground with a diverse electorate and through sustained, early communications we were able to define these corrupt Republican incumbents and put these seats in play.
“As the top Democratic outside spender on the airwaves, we held David Perdue and Kelly Loeffler’s feet to the fire on their insider trading scandals and failures to secure COVID-19 relief, while Mitch McConnell and Republicans ran one of the most negative, fear-mongering campaigns in history. We are proud to have partnered with national and local groups to spearhead an unprecedented mobilization program to turn out and register new voters and voters of color, who were critical to Democrats’ historic success in Georgia.”
“We congratulate and thank Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer for his tireless leadership and the entire Democratic Senate caucus for their hard work this cycle. Congratulations to each of our winning candidates, their campaigns, and our local and national allies who played a key role in one of the most important elections of our lifetimes.”
SMP’s 2020 Investments In Georgia — For Background Purposes
- SMP and affiliated organizations spent more than $100 million on paid media and voter mobilization efforts in Georgia’s U.S. Senate races, which includes general and runoff election spending.
- Our paid media program started earlier than ever: We were the first Democratic outside group on the airwaves in Georgia, beginning in early July 2020, to capitalize on Republican David Perdue’s stock trading scandal amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- As the top Democratic outside spender on the airwaves, our affiliated groups hammered the GOP ticket’s stock trading scandal and failure to secure COVID-19 relief throughout the runoff elections.
- We laid the groundwork early – building the infrastructure for a robust field program starting in September 2020 – that laid the groundwork to mobilize and turn out new voters and voters of color in the general and runoff elections. We were proud to partner with local and national allies to implement this unprecedented program that included field, radio, direct mail, and digital advertising.
- Through Majority Forward, our C4 political nonprofit that supports voter registration and voter turnout efforts, we brought forth a successful legal challenge to ensure thousands of Georgia ballots were counted amid Republicans’ rampant voter suppression efforts.